The Plant list
SPECIAL OFFER Sarcococca
We are offering two chunky plants of Sarcococca in 2 litre pots for £21.25 15% off their RRP. Winter Box. A small genus of Chinese and Himalayan evergreen shrubs which thrive in any no too dry, well drained soil. White, exquisitely fragrant flowers from December to February. Black berries in summer. Ht. 150 cm. Slow growing. Hardy. They are best grown in shade and can thrive under trees. With their modest size an essential plant for every garden. They can also be planted in containers near the door where its delicious fragrance will salute you in in your exits and entrances.
Sarcocococca confusa is now very commonly known and one of our core plants on the nursery. The name ‘confusa’ is, as it sounds, meaning confused – the species is unknown and has never been collected in the wild. It is believed to be a natural hybrid of S. hookeriana and S. ruscifolia but grows true from seed. It has quite rightly earned its way in to many gardens and is an easy and rewarding shrub.
Sarcococca hookeriana was named after Joseph Hooker – a Suffolk born botanist and plant collector. Many of Hooker’s introductions were found on his travels around the Himalayas including Meconopsis villosa, Carthatica villosa & Rhododendron dalhousiae.
Whilst the species is said not to be as tough as it’s cousin S. confusa and we have found it to be just as robust. It originates from China and has white flowers that emerge from pink calyx’s and are just as beautifully scented as its relative. The lanceolate leaves are more vivid green and the stems, petioles and midribs are all a stunning deep red.
You may also like…
Plant Details: SPECIAL OFFER Sarcococca
Plant: SPECIAL OFFER
Flower colour: White
Flower month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Dec
Flower scent: Sweetly
Foliage colour: Green
Autumn leaf colour: Green
Winter leaf colour: Green
Soil type: Moist yet well drained soil
Aspect: Shade, Part Shade
Flower type: Single
Flower attribute: Elegant
Flower style: Arch Foliage Habit, Dainty Foliage Habit
Leaf colour: Green
Suggested Container: Large Pots
Winter grow conditions: Outside
Container Compost: Soil or Loam Based
Web rating: Woottens rating 9/10
Special offer: Special Offers
Pot Size: 1L or 2L
- We aim to dispatch majority of orders within 5-7 working days
- If your order is placed before 7am on a Friday it is likely to be sent within 5 working days
- Orders placed from 7am on a Friday are likely to be sent within 7 working days
- However there may be delays on certain plants due to regular changes in availability busy periods throughout the year. We advise you contact the nursery regarding availability should you have any concerns. Or Click Here to find out more about our mail order plants.
- We only send plants of optimum quality therefore your delivery may be split and plants sent to follow later. Whilst we try and keep our website up to date inevitably during busy period’s plants may sell out.
- Sometimes it is necessary to ‘cut back’ your plants for the good of the plants and to insure safe packing and arrival of your order. We only do this to herbaceous perennials that will rejuvenate stronger from the base.
- Potted plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 4 working days after the order has been placed.
- Bareroot plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 10 working days after the order has been placed
- Collections can be picked up any day by appointment except Sunday.
- Please specify which date you will be collecting on in the 'order notes' box at the checkout.