The Plant list
PRIMULA auricula Douglas Black
Self. Very dark red flowers. Lightly fragrant. Flowers March-May. Ht. 15cm. Sp. 15cm. Well drained soil. Allow natural light in the winter and spring but shade in the hot summer, shelter from wet in the winter. Hardy.
Bred by James Douglas
Commonly known as Mountain Cowslips or Bear’s Ears the first species forms and natural hybrids originate from the mountain regions of central Europe. They have hybridised over the past 400 years by plant enthusiasts to create the thousands of varieties we have available today. In brief auricula plants need a well-drained compost, they dislike being over watered especially in the winter. They require shading from scorching sun in the summer but good natural daylight in the winter and early spring. Primula auriculas are hardy to cold and suffer from few pests and diseases. They can easily be propagated via division of the rosettes.
We recommend growing Auriculas in display pots rather than in the border as they can be easily swamped by other herbaceous plants.
Click here for full Auricula growing details and how and when to order.
Plant Details: PRIMULA auricula Douglas Black
Variety: Douglas Black
Common name: auricula
Sub Group: Self
Origin: European Alps
Flower colour: Black
Flower month: Mar, Apr, May
Foliage colour: Green
Soil type: Moist, Neutral, Alkaline
Aspect: Part Shade
Flower type: Single
Flower attribute: Elegant
Leaf colour: Grey
Plant breeder: James Douglas
Suggested Container: Small Pots
Winter grow conditions: Cold frame
Container Compost: Soil or Loam Based
Web rating: Woottens Plants rating 9/10
Special uses: Bees
Pot Size: 7cm
- We aim to dispatch majority of orders within 5-7 working days
- There are EXCEPTIONS during busy periods – please click here to find out about current dispatch times
- Some plants are seasonal and only dispatched at certain times of the year. Including Pelargoniums, Auriculas and Irises click here for more details
- Bareroot plants can take between 7-10 days before dispatch.
- We only send plants of optimum quality therefore your delivery may be split and plants sent to follow later. Whilst we try and keep our website up to date inevitably during busy period’s plants may sell out.
- Sometimes it is necessary to ‘cut back’ your plants for the good of the plants and to insure safe packing and arrival of your order. We only do this to herbaceous perennials that will rejuvenate stronger from the base.
- If there are any problems with your order you will contacted via email or phone to discuss the order
- Potted plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 4 working days after the order has been placed.
- Bareroot plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 10 working days after the order has been placed
- Collections can be picked up any day by appointment except Sunday.
- Please specify which date you will be collecting on in the 'order notes' box at the checkout.