The Plant list
Iris unguicularis has elegant scented lavender flowers with white markings on the haft and a yellow signal. Dec-March. Ht. 30cm. Sp. 30cm. Sun. Well drained soil. Flowers best against a south or west wall. Pick flowers in bud for in the home. RHS Award of Garden Merit. This particular species thrive on a slightly alkaline soil and will benefit from a top dress of lime when planting. Only divide when truly necessary as they can sulk for a few years afterwards and not flower. The Iris flower is held only by a petiole rather than a flower stem so beware of early roaming slugs and mice.
syn. Iris stylosa, Iris unguicularis is a native of Algeria and has adapted itself to the harsh climate of that arid land. Resistant to the appalling drought of the North African summer, it flowers during the winter rains. Such a plant is ideally suited to our native East Anglia, thriving in our drought stricken sand. It does however require the protection of a south or west-facing wall, to ensure that it flowers reliably in our less mild winters. It is a trouble free plant, apart from slugs, which sometimes regard their flower buds as an hors d’oeuvre before a main course of Hostas.
You may also like…
Plant Details: IRIS unguicularis
Origin: N. Africa
Flower colour: Blue
Flower month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Nov, Dec
Flower scent: Sweetly
Foliage colour: Green
Soil type: Well drained soil
Flower type: Single
Flower attribute: Elegant
Leaf colour: Green
Winter grow conditions: Outside
Web rating: Woottens rating 10/10
Special uses: Deer Proof, Rabbit Proof, Marine
Pot Size: 1.3 litre
Sub Group: Other Iris, Winter Iris
- We aim to dispatch majority of orders within 5-7 working days
- There are EXCEPTIONS during busy periods – please click here to find out about current dispatch times
- Some plants are seasonal and only dispatched at certain times of the year. Including Pelargoniums, Auriculas and Irises click here for more details
- Bareroot plants can take between 7-10 days before dispatch.
- We only send plants of optimum quality therefore your delivery may be split and plants sent to follow later. Whilst we try and keep our website up to date inevitably during busy period’s plants may sell out.
- Sometimes it is necessary to ‘cut back’ your plants for the good of the plants and to insure safe packing and arrival of your order. We only do this to herbaceous perennials that will rejuvenate stronger from the base.
- If there are any problems with your order you will contacted via email or phone to discuss the order
- Potted plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 4 working days after the order has been placed.
- Bareroot plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 10 working days after the order has been placed
- Collections can be picked up any day by appointment except Sunday.
- Please specify which date you will be collecting on in the 'order notes' box at the checkout.