The Plant list
A Historic Iris. Plicata. Flowers have brassy yellow tinted standards and yellow falls with dark red plicata markings. Scented. Flowers mid to late season. May – June. Ht. 90cm. Sp. 30cm. El Tovar X (Jumbo X King Tut). Tall bearded Iris.
IRIS Bonanza was introduced by Jacob Sass 1938. Read more about the hybridizer Jacob Sass
Bearded Irises are lifted and dispatched between July and October only. You may place an order any time of year, however we will not dispatch your order until harvest time. Plants arrive as bareroot rhizomes ready for planting.
Bearded Irises in the month of May are the keynote speakers in my garden – that sticky perfume and the intensity of colour of their flowers. No other genus has flowers so blue, so brown or so black; in these colours Bearded Irises rule supreme.
Bearded Irises must enjoy full sun (at least 6 hours a day) and a well drained soil. They disdain the miseries of shade and clay. Plant rhizomes just proud of the soil level in well drained soil with a PH between 6 and 8. Remove flower stalks when finished and clear away dead leaves in autumn. Do not cut back healthy leaves in summer. For full details and other forms of Iris please visit our Iris Page
You may also like…
Plant Details: IRIS Bonanza
Common name: Bearded iris
Flower colour: Brown, Yellow
Flower month: May, Jun
Flower scent: Sweetly
Foliage colour: Green
Soil type: Well drained soil
Flower type: Single
Flower attribute: Elegant
Foliage style: None
Leaf colour: Green
Seed month: Aug, Sep
Seed colour: Brown, Yellow
Plant breeder: J Sass
Suggested Container: None
Winter grow conditions: Outside
Container Compost: Peat Substitute Compost
Year of introduction: 1938
Web rating: Woottens Plants rating 8/10
Special uses: Deer Proof, Rabbit Proof, Marine
Pot Size: Bareroot
Sub Group: Historic bearded, Tall Bearded
- We aim to dispatch majority of orders within 5-7 working days
- There are EXCEPTIONS during busy periods – please click here to find out about current dispatch times
- Some plants are seasonal and only dispatched at certain times of the year. Including Pelargoniums, Auriculas and Irises click here for more details
- Bareroot plants can take between 7-10 days before dispatch.
- We only send plants of optimum quality therefore your delivery may be split and plants sent to follow later. Whilst we try and keep our website up to date inevitably during busy period’s plants may sell out.
- Sometimes it is necessary to ‘cut back’ your plants for the good of the plants and to insure safe packing and arrival of your order. We only do this to herbaceous perennials that will rejuvenate stronger from the base.
- If there are any problems with your order you will contacted via email or phone to discuss the order
- Potted plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 4 working days after the order has been placed.
- Bareroot plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 10 working days after the order has been placed
- Collections can be picked up any day by appointment except Sunday.
- Please specify which date you will be collecting on in the 'order notes' box at the checkout.