The Plant list
GALANTHUS elwesii Mixed
Commonly known as the ‘Greater Snowdrop’. G. elwesii is a Tall snowdrop with broad glaucous leaves. Outer segments of flowers are pure white with well defined green markings on tips. Flowers hang high above the foliage making a bolder statement in the garden than its cousin G. nivalis.
Named after their discoverer, a British plant collector and sportsman H.J. Elwes (1846-1922), who collected bulbs in north west Turkey. G. elwesii is native to Romania and the Ukraine, south to Greece and western Turkey.
GALANTHUS. The Latin name for Snowdrop coined by Linnaeus means milk flower. Snowdrops are not native to Britain, they were probably first introduced from Europe by monks during the mediaeval period. G. nivalis is native to Southern and Central Europe. Galanthus only gained their English name “Snowdrop” in the seventeenth century. Previously they were referred to as “bulbous Violets”. Snowdrops close their flowers at night to encapsulate the daytime warmth; the temperature inside the bell is sometimes as much as two degrees warmer than the surrounding air. Snowdrops look best planted under hazel trees. Snowdrops like a fertile moisture retentive but not waterlogged soil and grow best in part shade.
Priced per bulb
Plant Details: GALANTHUS elwesii Mixed
Common name: Snowdrop
Flower colour: Green, White
Flower month: Feb
Flower scent: Sweetly
Foliage colour: Green
Soil type: Moist yet well drained soil
Aspect: Shade, Part Shade, Sun
Flower type: Single
Leaf colour: Green
Winter grow conditions: Outside
Container Compost: Peat Substitute Compost
Web rating: Woottens rating 9/10
Pot Size: Bareroot
- We aim to dispatch majority of orders within 5-7 working days
- There are EXCEPTIONS during busy periods – please click here to find out about current dispatch times
- Some plants are seasonal and only dispatched at certain times of the year. Including Pelargoniums, Auriculas and Irises click here for more details
- Bareroot plants can take between 7-10 days before dispatch.
- We only send plants of optimum quality therefore your delivery may be split and plants sent to follow later. Whilst we try and keep our website up to date inevitably during busy period’s plants may sell out.
- Sometimes it is necessary to ‘cut back’ your plants for the good of the plants and to insure safe packing and arrival of your order. We only do this to herbaceous perennials that will rejuvenate stronger from the base.
- If there are any problems with your order you will contacted via email or phone to discuss the order
- Potted plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 4 working days after the order has been placed.
- Bareroot plants ordered for collection from the nursery can be ready 10 working days after the order has been placed
- Collections can be picked up any day by appointment except Sunday.
- Please specify which date you will be collecting on in the 'order notes' box at the checkout.